Composting is the natural process of decomposition and recycling of organic material into a humus-rich soil amendment known as compost. Food waste is composed of organic matter which can be used for composting to make fertilizer. It is an effective and eco-friendly way of disposing of food waste in your kitchen.
By using leftovers and other food waste, you can convert these smelly items from the kitchen waste into a highly organic product rich in nutrients that you can use to grow vegetables or flowers with it. Things like paper, twigs, and leaves are rich in carbon while grass, coffee, and tea grounds, fruit, and vegetables are rich in nitrogen. The proper mixture is key to good compost.
Why use food waste as fertilizer?
Food waste is a major challenge in the present world, tons of food is thrown away in the garbage. We could use all the food waste and prepare compost out of them which can be used as organic fertilizer. This way we save the earth from the pollution caused by food waste and also do something productive.
Food waste is unique as a composting agent; it is the main source of organic matters. Fruits, vegetables, grains, coffee filters, eggshells can be composted.
How to prepare the compost:
- Collect and separate your edible kitchen waste (vegetable peels, fruit peels, and small amounts of wasted cooked food) in a container.
- Now collect some dry organic matter like dried leaves, sawdust, and wood ash in a small container
- Take a big container or earthen pot or a bucket and drill 4 5 holes around the container at different levels to let air inside.
- Now fill the bottom of the container with a layer of soil.
- Now start adding food waste in layers alternating wet waste (food scraps, vegetable, and fruit peels) with dry waste (straw, sawdust, dried leaves).
- Cover this container with a plastic sheet or a plank of wood to help retain moisture and heat.
- Check the container every few days and if you think the pile is too dry, sprinkle some water so that it is moist.
You can also add wood ash and sawdust to the compost to help speed up the composting process. Vegetables and fruit peelings are the number one food remnants you should use. To come up with a nutrient-rich fertilizer, you need to add some natural waste to your compost like the grass clippings and leaves from your lawn.
The next is drying and cooling process, organic fertilizer drying and cooling usually can be combined together. After granulating, the organic granules are often with high moisture and heat, for making better quality organic fertilizer, the content of them should be reduced to a certain percentage.
Rotary drum fertilizer dryer is used to dry organic fertilizer granules and after drying, the moisture content can be decreased to 10%. And about organic fertilizer granules cooling, fertilizer rotary drum cooler will help remove the heat for granules. Granules enter from the inlet and cooling air enter from outlet join adversely. The fertilizers of low temperature will be discharged through outlet after transferring the heat to the cooling air. It can greatly improve cooling rate.
We at KERONE have a team of experts to help you with your need for organic fertilizer in various products range from our wide experience.